This delicious recipe for ox sausage with gently cooked lobster, Amsterdam pickles and vadouvan mayonnaise comes from the book Proef Noord-Holland .
Appetizer for 4 persons:
- 100 grams of fresh ox sausage
- 1 soft-cooked lobster of 500 grams (boil for 2 minutes in water with a lot of salt)
- 2 Amsterdam pickles (pickles)
- Young beet leaf
- Edible Pansies
- Young tops of a fennel bulb
- 50 grams of vadouvan (a curry mixture from India, for sale at the delicatessen, such as Caulils, Haarlemmerstraat 115, Amsterdam)
- 300 ml grapeseed oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon smooth mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Yellow carrot
- White balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- 50 grams of black quinoa, available at the better vegetable supplier or natural food store
- 300 ml chicken stock
- half shallot
- Half a clove of garlic
For the vadouvan mayonnaise: heat the grapeseed oil to 50 degrees together with the vadouvan and let it steep for 2 hours. Then strain through a fine sieve and let the oil cool to room temperature. Beat the egg yolk with the mustard and vinegar. Then slowly add the vadouvan oil, stirring constantly. Add enough vadouvan oil until you have the right consistency. Season it all with salt.
Then the marinated vegetables: cut both types of carrot into thin slices and cut them out using a small shape cutter. Marinate the sliced vegetables with the white balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil.
Rinse the black quinoa under running water until no more dirt comes off. Meanwhile, finely chop the shallot and garlic and lightly fry in the pan with olive oil. Then add the quinoa and deglaze with a portion of the chicken stock. You will notice that the quinoa grains absorb the chicken stock. Keep adding a little bit of chicken stock at a time, until the quinoa is cooked through and the liquid has been absorbed completely. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the sliced beef sausage on the plates. Arrange the beautiful pieces of lobster, quinoa, vadouvan, marinated vegetables, violets, beet leaves and fennel tops on top (as in the picture).