Ahealthy, wintery soup from Caroline Brouwer . What else do you want?
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3 centimeters ginger root, peeled and finely grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (djinten)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon curry
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- 600 grams sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250 grams of winter carrot in slices
- 1.5 liters of vegetable stock
- 2 red onions in thin rings
- 3 sage leaves, in strips + sage leaf for garnish
Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a stockpot. Saute the ginger, spices and two cloves of garlic over a low heat for two minutes. Add the jam and cook for a further two minutes.
Add the potato and carrot, pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Boil the soup for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are done. Blend the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender and add salt and pepper to taste
While the soup is cooking, fry the onion rings in the remaining oil for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Add the remaining garlic along with the sage leaves and fry for a few more minutes.
Ladle the soup into bowls, serve with onion rings and garnish with a fresh sage leaf if desired. Delicious with baguette and fresh cream cheese with herbs.