We already had a step-by-step plan for the best French toast ever , but did you know that you can also make French toast savory? This recipe with Parmesan cheese is divinely delicious.
For 1 person:
- Neutral oil, such as sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 large egg
- 40 ml (full or semi-skimmed) milk
- Optional: splash of whipped cream
- 40 grams grated Parmesan cheese, plus a little for garnish
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- a few drops of Tabasco
- 2 thick slices of bread (good quality!)
- Optional as a garnish: fried bacon
- Large frying pan with a thick bottom
In a large bowl that is not too deep or in a large shallow baking dish, beat the egg, milk and, if you like, the whipped cream with a whisk until nicely smooth. The whipped cream gives a nice creamy result, but also makes it heavier. Mix in the Parmesan cheese and beat until there are almost no crumbs visible. Then add the Tabasco and the crushed garlic clove.
Pour a good layer of oil into your frying pan (may be half a centimeter high). Heat the oil over medium to high heat until the oil starts to splatter slightly. Extractor hood on!
While the oil is heating, roll the two slices of bread in the mixture until the bread is full. Then carefully place the bread in the hot oil and fry until golden brown; after two minutes, turn the bread. Drain briefly on kitchen paper to remove excess fat.
Place on a large white plate with some extra Parmesan cheese, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt. Serve these savory French toast with fried (Zeeland) bacon, or your favorite green herbs, or a small salad.
Tip: if you make several French toast, it is best to heat your oven to about 75 degrees, so that you can keep the French toast warm while you bake new ones.