Have you ever thought the moment you eat a watermelon and the juice runs over your hands and face: how can I drink liters of this? This subtle, sweet juice is so fantastic that you can hardly get enough of it. But how do you get it right out of that watermelon? And also without seeds? Spoiler: you can actually do that quite easily, with a French press.
A short introduction for the happy few who do not drink coffee: a French press or cafetière is such a beautiful coffee machine from – how do you guess it – France, with which you can grind the ground coffee beans by means of pressure from a metal filter (plunger). squeeze out of the coffee. Very easy, it takes up little space and you can make delicious coffee with it. If you also want to get a French press at home, you can easily find it online.
We recently discovered that you can make much more than just coffee with a French press, such as tea, whipped cream, but also cocktails. By clever use of that metal filter and the pressure that comes with it, you can do that in no time. Were we excited then? Considerable. But now we may be even more excited.
Squeezing a watermelon?
You probably had a picture in mind of such a large watermelon, cut in half and trying to squeeze it on an orange press. That’s actually pretty funny, but not necessary at all. With a French press it is much easier!
The aforementioned metal filter and the pressure are the ultimate tool for making the watermelon juice and now with a drum roll: also without seeds. Really? Yes really!
How to make watermelon juice in 5 easy steps:
- Rinse the French press well, so that there are no coffee residues in it.
- Cut the watermelon from the rind and cut into smaller pieces.
- Remove the filter from the French press and put the watermelon in it.
- Crush the watermelon with a (wooden) spoon.
- Press the filter on the watermelon and voilà you have watermelon juice!
If you don’t feel like reading, we always have a video:
Tasty dishes with watermelon:
- Sparkling Watermelon Cocktail (a Watermelon Fizz)
- watermelon salad with ham and lemon pesto
- Gazpacho Ibiza with watermelon and avocado from Sergio Herman