It’s almost time: legs up, Christmas snack in hand and Netflix on play. Welcome to the Christmas holidays. Forget Home Alone, The Sound of Music and Sissy. We have selected the most inspiring and tastiest culinary Netflix tips for the Christmas holidays.
And we wouldn’t be Culy if we selected some snacks to match. Here it comes:
Culinary movies on Netflix
- Julie & Julia : the pinnacle of a feel -good film about cooking and with Meryl Streep. We see the comparison between American television and cookbook legend Julia Child in 1950s Paris and Julia Powell in 1920s Queens. Both looking for a purpose in life, which they find in their own way in, yes, cooking.
- Chocolat : Juliette Binoche opens a chocolate shop in a French village under the watchful eye of the suspicious residents and Johnny Depp. Lots of chocolate + a mountain of charm = space between our Netflix tips for this Christmas holiday.
It is a somewhat small attack on the glaze, but we can’t resist mentioning a few super sweet ones.
- No Reservations : In this romantic film from 2007 we follow a blossoming love between two chefs, including the necessary clichés and predictable dialogues. But hey, it’s Christmas, the film is on Netflix, it’s a film about food and you imagine yourself in New York. We do it for it.
- Eat Pray Love : Sorry, attack on your teeth is an understatement in this case. We can’t skip films during Christmas with Julia Roberts in the lead role and Eat in the title.
The above films should of course be matched with something to drink that is at least as sweet as Christmas. Here are some suggestions, of course combined with a full bowl of salted caramel popcorn .
With the family
Suitable for all ages, but real. Fun for grandpa and grandma, great for you, fun for your kids. Also nice: you can make these sweet Christmas recipes together in advance.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory): candy, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton: a work of art to see and a great option for the whole family.
- Matilda : is actually a standard part of Christmas. Not officially a food movie, but the chocolate cake scene has become so iconic that we’ll give it a place among these Netflix tips for the Christmas holidays anyway.
- Cloudy with a chance of meatballs : Sweet film about scientist Flint who invents a machine that makes the food rain.
- Waffels + Mochi’s Holiday Feast (or Wafeltje + Mochi’s Feestmaalfestijn): In the series Waffle + Mochi (a tip anyway!) with and by Michelle Obama, among others, the super cute Waffle and Mochi travel around the world. They are looking for culinary wonders and learning to cook with fresh ingredients. It is therefore not surprising that we have included the Christmas version in this list.
For series we like to get inspiration from Japan. Small warning: you are guaranteed to get hungry. So be sure to check out these simple Christmas snacks before you start.
- Midnight Diner : About a chef of a small restaurant who serves his diverse guests fantastic dishes. And listens to all the stories with just as much attention.
- Samurai Gourmet : Retired Takeshi rediscovers his love of food by looking for what he really likes. We are very happy to participate.
Shows about food
Of course, we also like to put all time favorites Salt Fat Acid Heat and Chef’s Table on repeat at Christmas. But to fully immerse yourself in the Christmas spirit, we can wholeheartedly recommend the following shows:
- Crazy Delicious : A cooking show with kitsch, color and a mountain of fantasy. Home cooks create the most surreal creations, a top pick for Christmas.
- Nailed it! Holiday! : Need inspiration for an over the top Christmas baking? You can really see everything in this Christmas special.
- School of Chocolate : Continuously watching how chocolate is turned into an art? We like to make a Christmas day for it.
We are sure that you will want to get started with these chocolate recipes afterwards .
Finally: exhausted and just in the mood for something beautiful without having to follow a storyline? Then put on the documentary Fantastic Funghi and dive into the magical world of the mushroom. The trailer alone will make you fully equipped.