In this blog you will learn how to put together a tasty cheese board and what you need for it.
A cheese board is indispensable during the holidays, for example during a drink on New Year’s Eve. How do you make these now the best?
A cheese board consists of different parts and different types of cheese. Cheese alone is of course not tasty either, so there must also be some tasty extras. You build a cheese board by choosing from the options below. So there’s something for everyone.
These are creamy cheeses without a hard crust such as:
- Cream cheese with herbs
- Cream cheese with walnuts like Rambol
- Spreadable goat cheeses
These cheeses have a slightly firmer structure:
- Parmesan cheese
- goat cheese
White rind cheeses
White cheeses have a white rind, that goes without saying. Yet there are many different types and they can vary greatly in spiciness.
- cream brie
- Brie de Meaux
Red rind cheeses
These cheeses have a light red or orange rind:
- Port Salut
Blue Vein cheeses
There are both hard and soft blue-veined cheeses and often the soft cheeses are also slightly milder in taste. So that’s the perfect one to start with.
Mild blue vein cheeses:
- Blue Stilton
A cheese board with only cheese is not complete. This includes other tasty snacks to alternate with, so that you can also distinguish the flavors of the cheeses. Think of the following snacks:
- Fruits such as grapes, blueberries or strawberries.
- Dried fruits such as apricots, dates or figs.
- Various nuts such as walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts.
- Jam for the cheese.
- Nut and fig bread or other variants.
- Olives or sun-dried tomatoes.
- Crackers and baguettes.
- Cold cuts or sausage.
What do you drink with the cheese board?
You can combine the cheeses well with a somewhat firmer red wine or even a glass of port. Of course a more spicy white wine is also very tasty or how about a dark beer? In general, you can drink some heavier drinks with it.
General tips for a cheese board:
- Always put the cheeses out of the fridge about 30 minutes in advance and let the cheeses come to temperature. This way the flavors come out better.
- Make a combination of mild and spicy cheeses and hard and soft cheeses for a perfect balance. Start with the mild cheeses and finish with the spicier cheeses.
- It’s nice to change the shape of cheeses. Think of a piece of cheese, cubes, a half round and so on.
- Use about 125 to 175 grams of cheese per person and about 3 to 5 different cheeses is enough for 4 people.
This blog was created by Jaimy
Source: Leukerecepten by leukerecepten-nl.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Leukerecepten by leukerecepten-nl. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process it as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of only having information available in a certain language.