I love to have a picnic when the sun is shining! Because what could be nicer than going to the park on a sunny day with a basket or bag full of goodies on your bike (or car) and enjoy. Preferably with a fresh wine, music and tasty snacks of course.
But a picnic does require some preparation. But I’m going to help you with that. I have a number of handy tips and 3 tasty picnic recipes that are easy to prepare and to take with you. Here are my tips:
1. Make sure you have placed cooling elements in the freezer in advance.
2. Use good scales to carry everything. Now they have a nice savings campaign at Jumbo where you can save for Pyrex bowls. These high-quality glass dishes are multifunctional and suitable for oven, microwave and freezer. With a lid, they are also ideal for taking snacks and dishes with you. They are available in 8 different sizes and shapes and from now on you can save at Jumbo with every € 10 in groceries and an extra stamp for promotional products (until September 5).
3. A wicker basket may seem very romantic, but it is not so practical, so take a large cooler bag with you. These have an insulating effect.
4. What is suitable to take with you? Keep in mind that things melt quickly on a summer’s day. For example, pack cream cheese in a container instead of a piece of brie and note that things with sugar such as donuts and jam can quickly stick. Better take a muffin in a paper muffin tin with you. Be careful with meat, fish and dairy and keep them as cool as possible to prevent the development of bacteria.
5. Which wine is good for a summer day? Go for a light white wine such as a sauvignon blanc. Or opt for a fresh and fruity rosé. Serve these wines cold from the cooler bag and don’t forget the opener (if necessary).
6. Don’t forget: sunscreen, garbage bag, fly hood to protect the food and napkins.
Potato tortilla with zucchini
450 g potato slices
75 ml milk
1 garlic clove
Splash of olive oil
50 g grated cheese
150 g canned corn
Pinch of cayenne pepper
9 cherry tomatoes
Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Boil the potato slices in water for 5 minutes or put them in one of the Pyrex bowls with a few tablespoons of water and put them in the microwave for 4 minutes. Chop the onion and garlic and fry in the pan with a little oil. Cut the zucchini into small cubes and add to the pan. Drain the corn and toss with the onion and zucchini as well. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
Beat the eggs with the milk and cheese together (tip: at Jumbo they have mini bags of 50 gr grated cheese). Grease the bowl with some oil or butter and put the vegetables in it. Pour over the egg mixture and place in the oven for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly and cut into pieces. Put the lid on the bowl and store in the fridge or take it with you straight away in your picnic basket. Before serving, pierce a tomato on the potato tortilla pieces with a toothpick.
Tip: the potato tortilla is delicious both cold and warm. Replace the zucchini with a bell pepper.
Wrap chicken pesto rolls
2 HOURS COOLING
12 slices of smoked chicken breast
4 tablespoons pesto
Handful of lamb’s lettuce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Spread the wraps with the pesto. Top with the chicken breast slices. Cut the avocado into thin slices, sprinkle with some lemon juice and place on the wrap. Divide some lettuce and the pine nuts. Carefully roll up the wraps. Stick the edges with some extra pesto.
Roll the wraps in aluminum foil and close the sides. Place them in a bowl and then put them in the fridge. Let it set in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Then remove them from the foil and cut into slices. Stick them on the skewers and keep them in the fridge or in one of the bowls.
Tip: omit the chicken for a vegetarian version. Little time? Then take the tortilla wraps in aluminum foil and eat them without cutting into slices.
Salad with tortellini
250 gr tortellini
1 grilled bell pepper (from a jar)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion
75 gr arugula
½ salami sausage
Cook the tortellini according to the package. Cut the grilled bell pepper into strips and the salami into cubes. Mix the oil with the white wine vinegar and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Chop the red onion. Drain the tortellini and mix with the arugula, bell pepper, onion and salami.
Stir gently with a spoon so as not to break the pasta. Drizzle with the dressing and toss again carefully. Store the salad covered in the refrigerator or take it with you immediately.
Tip: take the dressing in a separate container and drizzle over the salad just before serving. That way it stays nice and crunchy. Replace the salami with a piece of vegetarian sausage, falafel balls or mozzarella for a vegetarian variant.
This article was created in collaboration with Jumbo.
Source: Leukerecepten by leukerecepten-nl.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Leukerecepten by leukerecepten-nl. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process it as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of only having information available in a certain language.